Re: Making sense of the SQL trace file

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 11:42:21 -0000

Well,

HPUX has an operating system call with
a name like 'nano_sleep'; so they are clearly planning for a high-speed future.

I quess the fact that the timeslice is in hundredths doesn't preclude a hardware clock running in micro seconds, and being interrogated to that level of accuracy.

I did notice that on a fairly new fast NT box, the times I got back alway seemed to be in multiples of 291 microseconds - so perhaps that is the real granularity available at the operating system, despite the nominal capacity of the call.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.