Re: Oracle 9i/Solaris 8/NFS & >4GB datafiles

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 09:27:48 GMT

On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 22:15:51 -0500, DerUbergeek wrote:

> Nuno Souto wrote:
>

>> I'm confused right here.  What is the relevance of NFS for this?  Are
>> you using NFS file systems (in the 32-bit 10K) in the 64-bit E250 to
>> store your >4Gb data files?  If so, are you surprised it doesn't work?

> The relevance is to describe the system. And yes, I would be surprised if
> largefiles weren't supported in the 32bit kernel version of the same O/S.
> Largefiles were supported prior to Solaris going fully 64 bit. And,
> according to my tests via mkfile, they're also supported in my specific
> configuration.
>

>> Nope, but IIRC ORACLE recommends strongly against creating its datafiles
>> using NFS volumes.  If nothing else, at least the NFS server should be
>> 64-bit OS, no?

> Again, why? And yes, I'm fully aware of what 2^32-1 is. The bitsize
> support of the native O/S should have no impact on the size of files

The problem is not in the bits and sizes, the problem is that NFS does not guarantee that the write will happen when the "write" system service is issued. NFS3 (the one used on Solaris) is issuing "lazy writes", "async writes", "piggyback writes" and all kinds of nasty stuff which result in temporary datafile inconsistencies.The solution is to attach the disks that you now share through NFS to a FC/AL adapter on both systems, connect the systems by a gigabit switch and run the database on raw devices (which are supported in this type of configuration). I also believe that you should get a thingy called PDB from SUN.Ask Oracle about RAC. If they don't know what the heck are you talking about, tell them that it's OPS on steroids.
As for the DB2, tis is an Oracle group and advertising another product is not why I read this group. Please don't do that. Thanks.

--
Mladen Gogala