Oracle 9i/Solaris 8/NFS & >4GB datafiles

From: Der Ubergeek <DerUbergeek_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2001 15:15:37 -0800

Okay, I've been through the newsgroup archive formerly known as Deja as well as web searches.

Here's my problem:

I've installed Oracle 9i on a Sun E250 running solaris 8 (64 bit). It mounts via NFS to a Sun SS1000E running solaris 8 (32 bit). There are 5 (u01..u05) 13GB file systems setup as Raid-5 on an RSM2000 disk array.

I have a tablespace setup with 4 datafiles (spanning u02..u05) initially setup as 1GB with autoextend on. And yes, I've read all pros/cons/advice concerning autoextend & datafile sizes. Let's just pretend for the moment that I have a valid reason to set it up this way.

When the datafiles extend to the 4GB bounday I start to get:

ORA-01171: datafile 11 going offline due to error advancing checkpoint
ORA-01122: database file 11 failed verification check
ORA-01110: [datafile name]
ORA-01208: data file is an old version - not accessing current version

From RMAN, database restore fails & tablespace restore fails, apparently when it hits that 4GB mark (although I'm unsure of this). I did an RMAN backup of the database after creation and am running in archivemode with archive logs enabled.

Now, before we get into the NFSv3, largefiles, etc. info:

The following work:

On the NFS server:

cd /u01
mkfile 5000m test1.mkfile

On the NFS client:

cd /u01
mkfile 5000m test2.mkfile

So it seems that largefiles & NFS largefile support aren't the problem.

(Note: I haven't tried creating a random set of files & then copying/comparing them to ensure that the created files aren't corrupted or experiencing read errors)

The ulimit -f for the oracle account is unlimited.

Finally, this is the trial set for Oracle9i that I'm using in development, meaning that it's not a licensed version authorized for Oracle support.

Obviously, I could just change my structure to put a cap at 4095M on datafiles. Just as obviously, I could try out DB2 and see if I have more manageable problems (the tryout CD is in the mail...).

Thanks
dU Received on Sat Dec 08 2001 - 17:15:37 CST