Trying to install oracle 9i on a Redhat 7.2 :-/

From: Jan Eliasen <eliasen_at_cs.auc.dk>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 19:26:59 +0100

Hi there.

I'm writing my masters in databases right now, and I need to install oracle 9i on my Redhat 7.2. This is the first time I'm installing oracle, and I'm not doing that great. I've read installation files, oracle-HOWTO and other stuff... but I can't get it working.

I have some questions.

  1. Is it really necessary to change all those parameters in the kernel that the installation file says? These shmmax, shmmin and so on. Three of them, I can't even find in my /proc/sys/kernel directory. Note: My PC is a PentiumII 350MhZ with 512MB RAM and 1,5GB swap.
  2. I haven't installed blackdown as the installation file says I must. The installation file says that I must install jdk1.3.1_01 AND blackdown JRE - but oracle also comes with its own JRE. Why all three of them? Are they really necessary?
  3. During the installation I chose Standard edition - I don't want to configure anything... First I just want it to run. I've set up some environments for the user that is installating oracle (tcsh);
setenv ORACLE_BASE /usr/local/oracle;
setenv ORACLE_HOME $ORACLE_BASE/product/9.0.1;
setenv ORACLE_DOC $ORACLE_BASE/doc;
setenv ORACLE_SID dia2;
setenv ORACLE_TERM xterm;

setenv ORA_NLS33 $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data; setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:$ORACLE_HOME/lib set path = ( $path $ORACLE_HOME/bin $ORACLE_HOME/lbin ); setenv CLASSPATH $ORACLE_HOME/JRE:$ORACLE_HOME/jlib:\
                 $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/jlib:$ORACLE_HOME/network/jlib

When trying to install oracle 9i I get an error; /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lclntsh
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [wrap] Error 1

The oracle-howto says that this is easily corrected. I just need to put $ORACLE_HOME/lib in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH... but as you can see above, I allready have it. I even tested that it is there by having the runinstall script echo the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable before starting the actual installation.

So, what am I doing wrong? I have spend 3 whole days now... the error comes after about 1 hour.. pretty annoying :-)

Please help.

--
Eliasen Jr.