Re: Making sense of the SQL trace file

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2001 15:51:44 -0800

In article <Sw9Q7.4132$8e.238096_at_news>, "rocr" says...

>Hi gang,
>
> I create a trace file on one of the user processes that I am
>troubleshooting. I have opened the trace file and I am trying to make sense
>of the output. Could anyone decipher the meaning of the following:
>
> PARSING IN CURSOR #2 len=350 dep=1 uid=0 oct=3 lid=0 tim=61988085
>hv=2216582187 ad='5e5a4cec'
>
>I am especially curious as to the meaning of the tim values, are these
>seconds, 1/1000 sec, what the hey????
>
>Cheers,
>clueless

if you want the entire details on all of the records in there, i have that in chapter 10 of my book. Here is the info from that for this single record:

Cursor # The cursor number. You can use this to find the maximum number of open cursors in your application as well since this number is incremented and decremented each time you open a new cursor and close an existing one.

len Length of the SQL statement to follow.

dep The recursive depth of a SQL statement. Recursive SQL is SQL performed on behalf of some other SQL. Typically, this is SQL executed by Oracle in order to parse a query or perform space management. It can also be caused by PL/SQL (which is SQL) running SQL. So, you may find your own SQL is 'recursive'.

uid User ID of the current schema. Note, this may be different than the lid below, especially if you use alter session set current_schema to change the parsing schema.

oct Oracle Command Type. Numeric code indicating the type of SQL command being parsed.

lid The user ID used to security-check the access privileges against.

tim A timer. Its resolution is hundredths of seconds. You can subtract these times from each other as you encounter them in the trace file to see how far apart they occurred.

ha Hash ID of the SQL statement.

ad ADDR column of V$SQLAREA that refers to this SQL statement.