Re: Upgrade to 8.1.7 or 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:03:56 +1100

Comments as ever...
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

> Since the main criteria is stability, I have to disagree.
Feel free!
>There will
> be more bugs and product changes in 9i, simply because it is early on
> the curve.
That's where I think you're wrong. It's like saying that WinXP is worse than 95, because 95's been out longer and XP's a new release. It's the most stable first release of any Oracle version I've seen.
>8i has plenty of features for largeness,
And missing ones which are crucial for true largeness. Materialized Views are good for 'largeness' -tried persuading the 8i optimizer to use them? Much, much easier in 9i. A whole raft of 'largeness; features that were *introduced* in 8i actually start working properly in 9i.
>it's only real
> problem is all the java stuff... which of course is the main reason
> for 9, eh?
Don't know what that means, really. 9i's main raison d'etre is RAC and all the other enhancements that make it a truly viable proposition for data warehousing, as well as the tweaks and twists which enhance its role as an OLTP solution.

> If stability is truly the main criteria, I would go to 8i and watch 9
> for at least a year. If you are on 7.3, you probably aren't even
> using anything that would necessitate 9, but perhaps could use 8's
> partitioning.
And if he could use partitioning, perhaps he could use List Partitioning (Oracle 9i)? I think this is all the wrong way round. Of course, if he does a "straight" migration, and uses just the features of Oracle 7.3.4, he wouldn't need to upgrade at all! The point is, he probably wants to migrate in order to take advantage of new technologies... and 9i has more of them (and more useful ones at that) than 8i -Flashback, anyone?
>If you want something like portal, you probably want to
> put it on another box anyways. Even with 8, you'll likely have plenty
> to do like getting rid of svrmgrl scripts and rewriting backup
> procedures and all your other scripts that do anything useful. You
> perhaps do everything with scripts? Do you want to replace all that
> with manual operations? Even the new init.ora is now cat-juggling.

What does that mean?? There's not the slightest problem with the spfile as far as I can tell. It's a very handy feature. Still, I'm not in the business of plugging the product. It's just that if you could have actually *listed* some instabilities in 9i, we might be getting somewhere. Just saying it's likely to have some because it's new is a bit of a non sequiteur and is, in this case, I think, demonstrably untrue. Regards HJR