Re: 9ias: Migrating a Portal

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:10:31 -0500

We recently went through this process, going from portal 30981 under 816 to same ias/portal version under 8172 on Solaris on a second box (for production).

Evidently there are some issues using the standard export/import utilities, probably having to do with the use of row level security and object types in the portal30 and portal30_sso schemas.

There are also portal scripts for exporting various segments of your repository, but they evidently have to be run in the "appropriate" order, and you have to supply all of the correct object names. There are evidently some known issues with these scripts as well, supposedly fixed in the recent 30982 patch.

Our Oracle rep recommended moving the whole database installation, even though we were migrating from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 as well. I ended up installing fresh software and moving the DB files and then migrating them (816 -> 8170 -> 8172). There were a number of adjustments required to get everything configured correctly. Email me offline for details.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing a better approach to this, as I would have preferred to start with a fresh DB installation.

-Peter