Re: replication, export, or offline instantiation (2)

From: Mark Malakanov <markmal_no_spam_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:34:08 GMT

I think, a standard replication is most suitable. Just create snapshots on 2nd DB. Set refresh timing. That's practically it. Some tips:
Put all tables bind by reference constrains (FK) into one refresh group. Set refconstraints to be checked deffered.

What do you mean by "offline". You can have both DB disconnected (in terms of network) each other. You need to connect them for refresh procedure only (once in a month). But this should be real network connection (like TCP/IP). Offline floppy-net is impossible. Consider transportable TS.

Possible problems of nonfrecuent replication - big amount of data for monthly refreshes can create huge overloading on rollback segments. I'd consider more frequent refreshes - daily or hourly.

Mark Malakanov