Do I really need more than 1 rollback segment?

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2001 19:26:47 -0500

I'm fighting with a 7.3.4.5 instance that has sudenly decided it can't preform some task that it used to suced at, because of inabilty to extend a rollback segment.

When this first started hapening I had (in addition to the system rollback segment) 4 rollback segments in a tablespace which was 500M in size. At this point in time I have doubled the tablespace to 1G, and created only 2 rollback segments of 499M each. Since it's still failing, I am tempted to drop one of thes, and create a single rollback segment of 1G.

This system has abotu 200 to 300 inserts that fire off every 15 seconds, and are comited imediatly. In addition to this it has routine processing which makes fairly large changes, but I have assured that only one transaction is open for this processing at any one time, before comittig.

Given this, does it make sense to go to only one rollback segment, other than the system one?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin