Re: Characters beyond ASCII in database ( US7ASCII and UTF8 character set )

From: Jesus \(John\) Salvo Jr. <john_at_softgame.com.au>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 23:07:24 GMT

Can you give me more info on what you did? In the case of a US7ASCII database:

  1. When you export data from the US7ASCII database, what NLS_LANG and NLS_CHAR setting did you use?
  2. What is the mapping of the third byte in the export file to a charset?
  3. When you imported data, what NLS_LANG and NLS_CHAR setting did you use?

So far, I have done the following:

1)
Export Server: US7ASCII
Export Client: did not set NLS_LANG / NLS_CHAR, so presumably US7ASCII as well

Import Client: did not set NLS_LANG / NLS_CHAR, so presumably US7ASCII as well
Import Server: UTF8

RESULT: Acute E became I

2)
Export Server: US7ASCII
Export Client: did not set NLS_LANG / NLS_CHAR, so presumably US7ASCII as well

Import Client: NLS_LANG=English_Australia.UTF8 and NLS_CHAR=UTF8 Import Server: UTF8

RESULT: IMP 00016 error

3)
Export Server: US7ASCII
Export Client: NLS_LANG=English_Australia.UTF8 and NLS_CHAR=UTF8

Import Client: did not set NLS_LANG / NLS_CHAR, so presumably US7ASCII as well
Import Server: UTF8

RESULT: Acute E became I

4)
Export Server: US7ASCII
Export Client: NLS_LANG=English_Australia.UTF8 and NLS_CHAR=UTF8

Import Client: NLS_LANG=English_Australia.UTF8 and NLS_CHAR=UTF8 Import Server: UTF8

RESULT: Acute E became I

I would have through that setting the NLS_LANG/NLS_CHAR during export would have set the "third byte" in the export file.

Thanks,

John

"Damien Salvador" <damien.salvador_at_via.ecp.fr> wrote in message news:slrna0t86e.1q7.damien.salvador_at_zen.via.ecp.fr...
> On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 05:33:55 GMT, Jesus \(John\) Salvo Jr.
> <john_at_softgame.com.au> a écrit:
> >I just tried exporting that table from the US7ASCII again, but having my
> >NLS_LANG=English_Australia.UTF8 and NLS_CHAR=UTF8 ... and then import
that
> >data into the UTF8 database, also having NLS_LANG=English_Australia.UTF8
and
> >NLS_CHAR=UTF8 during the import.
> >
> >That non-ASCII character, the e with an acute, became the letter I.
> >
> >So my alternative of exporting the US7ASCII data as UTF8 will not work. I
> >tried exporting the US7ASCII data as US7ASCII and then importing it as
UTF8