Re: RAID: Advantage or disaster?

From: Dan Peacock <peacocda_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2001 14:00:03 -0800

I'm going to disagree with your assertion. If you have only a few data files, you cannot take advantage of parallel query without a striped set of some kind as you will bottleneck on a single spindle and have idle processes that are doing nothing but waiting. Now, I used to be a RAID5 is great always zealot. I've since modified that stance, but I will say this: most applications are read intensive, and it's a documented fact that RAID5 sets are very good at reading data off the disk. There is a write penalty, but with modern controllers (note: there is not a standard for implementing RAID5. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) and the huge caches that are available and the high speed microprocesses on the new controllers, the bottleneck is still the disk behind the array. It's just the nature of the technology. However, there are cases, and redo is one of the most prominent, where a RAID5 set is not the best solution. Depending on how often you switch log files, you may want to have the highest throughput device you can get when it comes to redo so that you aren't waiting on redo switches. Temporary space is also one of these areas as they are about 50/50 read/write. In datawarehousing applications where you may want to have large arrays, RAID5 make alot of sense (and cents <grin>).

Getting back to the original posting, I would be more concerned as to why the server is crashing. I've been using Compaq hardware with a variety of RAID sets (5, and 1+0) and I've never had a problem with either. I think he's got more of a problem with a bad driver or board than with a drive configuration, IMO. I've run a small data warehouse on a Compaq 6500 with five RAID 5 arrays, and I've NEVER had to reboot due to an Oracle or NT failure (which actually says alot considering I've got NT on the thing!)

My $0.02, and I'll give it away for free, so you got what you paid for.

Dan Peacock
DBA
Wolverine World Wide