Re: Smartest way to create test databases (including upgrade) ?

From: Christian Svensson <chse30_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2001 09:12:17 -0800

> > full consistent database export. If I use the consistent=y parameter,
> > then during the whole export operation no user can change any data.
>
> Not true! CONSISTENT=Y just means that the export will be consistent -- the
> only "gotcha" is that the export will need to be assigned to a rollback
> segment & if there is a lot of DML going on during the export it may fail if
> the rb segment is too small. Just pick a "quiet time" & use DIRECT=Y (if
> all character sets are the same) to speed things up.

OK, hmmm, but what I have seen there are no way to assign a specific rollback segment for the export operation. I suppose I have to put all the other rollback segment offline and then create one big rollback segment, so that when the export runs, it can only choose this one. Or are there other ways ?

> > For the IFS testdatabase I suppose I can use the hot backup datafiles
> > and roll forward with the archived redo logfiles. I know that I must
> > have the same filedirectory structure for the testdatabase. Since the
>
> No -- you can use an edited copy of a TRACE backup controlfile to change the
> pathnames by recreating the control file -- you can also change the DB name
> that way & the archive log mode. Just get into server manager after you've
> copied the files to your test platform, do a "STARTUP NOMOUNT" & execute an
> edited version of the file created when you did an "ALTER DATABASE BACKUP
> CONTROLFILE TO TRACE". Send me email if you'd like a sample copy of one of
> these scripts.

Hmmmmm, but must I not first do a recover ? I mean if I do a startup nomount and create a new controlfile, how does Oracle know how many archive log it have to roll forward ? Remember that it is database files from a hot backup that I use. Not a cold one, but if so, then I suppose your way should work. Or am I wrong here ? (Maybe I should make an export here also, but it is 17 Gb of data, and it would be much better if I could use the hot backup datafiles + redo instead)

Thanks for any clarification about this.

/Christian Received on Wed Dec 05 2001 - 11:12:17 CST