Oracle in memory

From: Ryan <rjmunson_at_ryanmunson.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2001 07:10:53 GMT

All,

Has anyone ever tried running an entire database in memory? Make a filesystem out of swap space, create the data and index files in that filesystem...Maybe for saftey put the system file and archlogs on an actual disk. You could even ensure data integrity by mirroring the memory to an actual disk backed filesystem.

I would be curious to see if anyone has played around with the idea.

I beleive it could work, writes to the mirrored structure would be the same as normal. However reads to the filesystem would be smoking!! Most I/O controllers will take the data from whoever can deliver it the fastest, in this case the "ram disk" would return the blocks in a heartbeat thus completing the read. It would be like "caching" the entire database into the database buffers.

Let me know your thoughts, and also if someone has tried this before....

Ryan Received on Wed Dec 05 2001 - 01:10:53 CST