Re: Instances vs Services

From: wysza <awysza_at_invalid.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:48:59 GMT

"dsmcd" <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net> wrote in message news:B0cP7.199$Ui5.351481_at_news.uswest.net...
> Hello again...
>
> Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2k-Server (P4 with Java 1.3.1)
>
> Booting the server starts the database service (automatic), but the
> instance is not open.

I would recreate the Service using oradim. (close control panel and services window before doing it. You should login as Administrator with full read/write privs for the registry and a member of ora_dba group.)
At a dos prompt type
oradim help=y
this gives you a help on how to use it. Now, use delete option with a sid: oradim -delete -sid YOURSID
then
make sure that in registry all OracleServiceSID are gone (you can find them in
hkey_local_machine\system\ControlSet00x\Services hkey_local_machine\system\CurrentControlSet\Services) then create a new service:
oradim -new -sid YOURSID -intpwd PASSWORD -startmode a -pfile YOURPFILE Check if it autostarts.

> Shutting down the instance (Instance manger) does not stop the service.
That's how it should be. Thank's to this you can connect as internal (or sys with sysdba privs) and startup the DB.
On the other hand, shuting down service stops the instance.

> I thought if the service was running then the instance was open,
It's the other way around.
> and if the service was stopped then the instance was shutdown.
Yes.

hth
wysza Received on Tue Dec 04 2001 - 21:48:59 CST