Re: Connection to the remote database

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 18:55:45 GMT

OK, to simplify . . . as I understand it, you have one or more production databases running on one box, and a test database running on another. Your client machines do not have any oracle software installed, not even a client, and so are drawing their software and definitions from a mapped drive that is pionting to your production server. As a result you are pointing to a shared, production, TNSNAMES.ORA file. You don't want to edit this file, and so have no way of connecting to the test database.

Am I right so far?

Even with the Oracle client being pulled off of a server, you have to have Oracle registry entries on the client machine. At HKLM\software\oracle, you can put in the string value "tns_admin" and gve it a value of something like "c:\oracle\" and put a TNSNAMES.ORA file in the directory you indicate in the parm. Also check out the use of the IFILE= parm in the TNSNAMES file. You could use "tns_admin" to point to a workgroup shared TNSNAMES that contains the entries for your test database as well as an IFILE= parm to effectively concatonate in the production TNSNAMES file.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)