Re: Connection to the remote database

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:44:08 -0500

> A small group of us installed a separate Oracle 8.1.7 database
> instance on one of the development box (Windows NT - not a server) for
> playing around purposes. Oracle database name is ORACLE8. When I try
> to run SQL Plus on my machine and connect to ORACLE8 database, of
> course, I cannot connect to it. I get this error "ERROR: ORA-12154:
> TNS:could not resolve service name". We don't want to touch our
> tnsnames.ora file on the Oracle production server, well, because it
> defines all our corporate databases. We just want this to be totally
> separate.

 Suppose you just create a local tnsnames.ora file on the PC with all the names you need, inc;uding the development databases? That's a pretty common solution -- you just copy the tnsnames.ora that's on the server to %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin & add the aliases you need.

> One way we are thinking to access the database through SQL Plus is to
> have a second set of registry to point to that machine where ORACLE8
> database is sitting.

Possibly but I thought this feature was for supporting muiltiple ORACLE_HOMEs. not multiple target databases...

> I was also reading in the Distributed Database Concepts manual that
> you can reference database by global database name. This is what it
> said in that manual: "Oracle forms a database's global database name
> by prefixing the database's network domain, specified by the DB_DOMAIN
> initialization parameter at database creation, with the individual
> database name, specified by the DB_NAME initialization parameter." For
> example: MFTG.DIVISION3.ACME_TOOLS.COM. I tried that and it doesn't
> work.

This global name has nothing to do with SQLNet/Net8 unless you are using Oracle Names Servers & the "Dynamic Discovery Option". It won't help you...

> What other options do we have in order to connect to this development
> database? Instead of resetting the registry entry back and forth all
> the time?

I would just create a local tnsnames.ora that includes the development aliases. Received on Tue Dec 04 2001 - 11:44:08 CST