Sort order where result set contains 8 bit characters

From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt_at___NO_SPAM_PLEASE__acu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 17:16:04 +0000

Hi,

I have an Oracle database, containing large numbers of records referring to people by name. The dataset covers the Commonwealth, so we have a large number of international characters in the data. I'm querying this database from a Perl script with the DBI modules, and the result set is sorted in binary order. I'd like the sort to place 8-bit characters in a sensible order, so accented "e's" sort with unaccented "e's", and umlauts etc. sort properly. How do I do this?

The database character set is WE8ISO8859P1, and I've tried various settings for NLS_SORT, but to no avail. I'm currently setting the following environment variables in my Perl code:-

$ENV{NLS_LANG} = "ENGLISH_UNITED KINGDOM.WE8ISO8859P1";
$ENV{ORA_NLS} = "/opt/oracle/ocommon/nls/admin/data";

Of course, though the database is physically located in the UK, the data is from a variety of countries. I have been unable to find a list of acceptable values for NLS_SORT anywhere....

TIA, Mike. Received on Tue Dec 04 2001 - 11:16:04 CST