Re: ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 512 in tablespace TEMP

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 4 Dec 2001 06:18:50 -0800

peter.mckenzie_at_health.wa.gov.au wrote in message news:<9uhd1l$139$1_at_news.netmar.com>...
> Can anyone help me with a formula/method for estimating a good size for temp
> tablespace. Thanks.

> http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups

I lack a good set of rules for this as we have more or less gone with a gut feel about how much space we need. Some things you can think about:

1- you need to allocate enough space to temp to allow droping and re-creating your largest index.

2- Some people have said that you need at least enough to allow someone to "select * from largest_table order by x" but I am not sure you have to allow selecting all the rows from your largest table in a specific order. In theory you should be able to support this, but in many applications this is an unrealistic situation.

3- If you have an existing system or access to similar systems look to see what they are using during peak online and peak batch activity times.

Good luck