Monitoring and NAT

From: Paul Moore <paul.moore_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:34:41 +0100

Does anyone know of any database monitoring software which supports NAT? I work for a company which supports Oracle databases for our customers. We are looking for an automated database monitoring tool. Up until now, we have used OEM, but we can nop longer use it because more and more of our customers are connected to us via NAT, which OEM doesn't support.

To clarify, the situation is that we have client PCs within our network, which can connect to a monitoring server on a fixed public IP address. This server needs to monitor databases on customers' networks, where the networks are linked via NAT. In picture form:

      +---------------------------+
      |        Client PCs         |

NAT

V +----------+ | Customer | (B) |DB Server| +----------+

Here, (A) is on a fixed IP address (161.x.x.x) which can be "seen" both by the clients and by (B). On the other hand, (B) knows itself as an "internal" address to the customer's network (10.x.y.z) whereas (A) refers to it by a *different* address (10.u.v.w).

I'm not a network expert, but I know that something about this setup makes OEM's node discovery and alerting mechanisms fail (probably the agent on B sends the IP address B knows itself as back to A, but this address is useless to A, which uses a different address for B...)

What I'm having trouble with is finding what, if any, monitoring products on the market *will* support this kind of setup. It's hard for us to test products, as that involves setting software up on our customers' production machines - something we don't want to do lightly. But there's very little about required infrastructure in the various product descriptions I've seen around.

Does anyone have any advice, or pointers for me?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Moore. Received on Tue Dec 04 2001 - 07:34:41 CST