Re: How to clear Rollback segments

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 13:19:24 GMT

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:03:43 -0500, Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> That command will only work if OPTIMAL has been set (and if OPTIMAL *has*
> been set, it's a bit unlikely he'd need to manually shrink them in the
> first place), otherwise you have to specify a size to shrink *to*.
And having "OPTIMAL" set means that your rollback segments will be shrunk from time to time. That means that there are transactions which will extend rollback segments beyond optimal and that SMON will shrink them back. Now that means that some lucky transactions will have to deal with the extents allocation in addition to the normal rollback space allocation and on the periodical basis. This is the introduction of a lottery system which will make some transactions 10 times slower then the other. If you are lucky, you will have some "snapshot too old" beauties to worry about. What I am trying to say is: do not set the OPTIMA parameter. Let you rollbsck segments be fruitful and multiply because they're doing so for a reason.

--
Mladen Gogala