Re: Parameter change suggest after hardware change

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 04 Dec 2001 09:32:28 +0000 (GMT)

James <jamesyang_at_163.net> wrote:
>We wanna add extra 2 CPUs and 2G MEM for an exist Oracle database
>which already had 2 CPUs and 2G MEM. Is there any suggestion about how
>to change parameters in profile init<SID>.ora to fit into the new
>hardware configuration?
>
>Can we simply double all the memory in that file or is there a way to
>calculate them?

There are a number of parameters that default to some multiple of the number of CPUs. If you've already set these explicitly, then they will need to be adjusted, db_block_lru_latches is an example (relevant to 8i).

What to do with the extra memory is a more difficult question, and largely depends on why you're buying more memory. If you want to support more connections to the same server, then you need to balance the memory between the server and spare for the connections. If you've just bought the memory for additional performance on an existing workload, you can put most of it straight into the block buffers (or library cache, or sort area, or whatever you most need more RAM in).

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/