Re: hot backup mode question

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:08:20 -0000

"koert54" <koert54_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:r0PO7.14981$Al.4006319435_at_hebe.telenet-ops.be...
> Don't forget - you can't do an 'alter tablespace' on a locally managed
> temporary tablespace :-)
>
> By locally managed temporary tablespace I mean tablespaces created like
this
> :
> 'create temporary tablespace <x> extent management local uniform size <y>M
> tempfile 'z' size <a>M;'
> and NOT
> 'create tablespace <x> extent management local uniform size <y>M datafile
> 'z' size <a>M;'
> 'alter tablespace <x> temporary;'

This catch is avoided if you script the creation of your backup script by issuing

select distinct 'alter tablespace '||tablespace_name||' begin backup;' from dba_data_files;

as tempfiles don't appear in the dba_data_files view.

Obviously the same logic also applies to the copy & end backup procedures as well.

You don't need to backup a temporary tablespace as you can always drop and recreate it without data loss.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA