Re: How would I....

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 22:45:59 GMT

Use some PL and let it throw an exception ...

DECLARE
 result varchar2(x) ;
 num number ;
BEGIN  select to_number(substr(name,1,1)) into num from table ; -- no exception thrown ? it's a number
 select 'LOT' || name into result from table ;

EXCEPTION
 WHEN ... THEN
-- exception handling -> the first character is a char