Block Level Incremental Backups

From: Steve Mckee <steve.mckee_at_ericsson.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2001 07:25:05 -0800

Hi,

We are developing a backup solution for our database product. The product runs on Solars 8, Oracle 8.1.7, and uses the Veritas Database Edition for Oracle. All file systems are VXFS and we are using Quick I/O files for the database files.

From what I understand, there seems to be 2 different ways of performing incremental backs:

    o one using RMAN
    o one using the Block Level Incremental Backup (BLIB)       from Veritas.

Question 1:

Am I correct when I say that these are 2 separate ways of performing incremental backups? Or does one somehow use the other.

Question 2:

Which is better? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Thanks

Steve Received on Mon Dec 03 2001 - 09:25:05 CST