Re: V$LATCH question

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:02:43 GMT

Jonathan Lewis doodled thusly:

>>PMFJI
>
>I've not seen this acronym before. What
>does it mean ?

Pardon Me For Jumping In.
I use it when I'm butting into a conversation being held between others. Not really necessary on the Usenet, probably more a hang-up of too strict an education... ;-)

>>What can I say? :-)
>How about
> "There, there, diddums"

Yeah, I felt like doing exactly that! <G>

>A useful guideline is to compare the CPU used by a
>session with the time lost of latches - and ask if
>user would actually notice a difference in performance
>if you eliminated the time they had spent waiting on
>latches - if the answer is ''maybe', then add the time
>spent on I/O to the CPU time and repeat.

Good one. Thanks a lot.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Dec 03 2001 - 06:02:43 CST