Re: recovering from archived redo logs

From: Simon Hume <simon_at_publishers-market.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:02:38 +0100

Thanks to everyone who replied, which solved my problem. I want to find the absolute minimum required to restore a database. Seems to me that many people and much that is written (including Oracle manuals) are vague about this. Say I don't have current redo logs, OR current controlfile, I CAN recover right up until my last archived log even if I have only an old controlfile or even NO controlfile (as long as i have a 'trace' copy with which to rebuild it)

In the later case, I had to comment out the RECOVER DATABASE line in the trace script, and did the following:

startup nomount
@/location/of/trace/file/control01.trc (ignore error message ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed - it DID create one)

recover database using backup controlfile until cancel auto
alter database open resetlogs

this took me right up to last archived redo log which is what I wanted.

Simon Hume
Publishers Market AG
Lindwurmstrasse 129a
D-80337 München Received on Mon Dec 03 2001 - 05:02:38 CST