Hot backup copy to remote server

From: Soojin Kim <soojin_kim52_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2001 23:31:19 -0800

Hi!

We have a production oracle server (Ora_server) contains 56 GB of data and a backup server (backup_server). Every night hot backup starts from ora_server and the OS copy command is copying the datafiles to backup_server (I know this is not recommanded by Oracle.) The both server runs Solaris 2.7 and have the gigabit ethernet cards. My question is what causes for the hot backup to finish at the different time.
If after "alter tablespace name begin backup" is issued and all the changes are saved to the online redo logs the OS copy shouldn't be taking sometimes 2 hours and sometimes 4 hours. If my assumption is correct is it to do with the network traffic between the two machines. Because I monitor the CPU and memory usages of the two machine and it doesn't really show that it is to do with the usages difference.

What would be the right steps to monitor or troubleshoot? Would it be a good idea to start from Oracle or OS? (I used vmstat and iostat before.)

Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Dec 03 2001 - 01:31:19 CST