Re: rman on oracle 8.i

From: Bill Border <bb22_at_qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:10:21 -0700

  Where I work (Agilent Technologies) about 1 year ago we did an extensive evaluation of RMAN. We are HP-UX with Veritas Netbackup.

  To make a long story short, we like it very much. We use this solution to backup about 400 Oracle DB's 8.0, 8.1 and 9.0 (in test mode) continuously. There are a few gotcha's with regard to whether or not to use a recover catalog, but once we got past those, it works very well. It makes all of the decisions about which components (LVL0's, LVL1's, logs) to get you back to the point in time (if desired) or a full restore.

  Anyone, feel free to ask questions at bill_border_at_agilent.com

Bill

Free, full-function Oracle monitoring software: http://dbamon.com