Re: compress long field

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 18:21:20 GMT

In article <9ub7o3$2es$1_at_nreadb.inwind.it>, "Mark" <marbz_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know a good way to compress the content of a long filed of a
> table
> from the server side?
>
> thanks in advance

Well, I haven't given it much thought but I would get one of those freely available LZW libraries from freshmeat.net and make it into an external procedure which would compress/uncompress a blob. It might me prudent to convert long fields into lobs because you can pass a locator to a routine which is, generally speaking, a few bytes shorter then your average long field, especially if you feel the need to compress them. The other solution that would probably prove itself to be better performing one is to buy more disks. Disks are cheap and adding say 100GB doesn't cost as much as it used to.

--
Mladen Gogala