Re: newbie questions with Oracle 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 17:50:54 +1100

Comments below.
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"KK" <moditha_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> These are my questions.
>
> 1) I connect to Oracle9i using system/manager which is super user as I
> know.
> I created a new database using the above account. then was exploring
> the newly created database using Enterprice manager. I saw SYSTEM
> account is listed in that databases users list. but now it dosen't
> show there.!!! its vanished.. but still I can connect to the database
> as SYSTEM.. whats happening? and how can i get that user back ?

You didn't create your database as SYSTEM at all. SYSTEM is not a "super user", just a very powerful, but utterly ordinary user -and he has absolutely no rights to create, backup, restore, shutdown or startup a database. You might have *typed* the SYSTEM username, but if you've got operating system authentication running, you could have typed absolutely anything at all, and it would still have let you on You'd actually have been logged on as SYS, in his Privileged User guise. As for SYSTEM disappearing -well, he can't have done (he owns too many things that can't be dropped without stuffing up the database for that to be permitted). Get into SQL Plus, and type "Select username from dba_users". See what's listed there. I never trust these GUI tools anyway!!
> 2) after login as system to the newly created database, I created a
> table, table schema name i choosed as same as the database name, and
> the tablespace i choosed as USERS [which was already there by default]
> table got created successfully.
>
> 3) Can i give permission to a user , for more than 1 table space ??
> apart from the temporary tablespace and default tablespace is it
> possible to add more tablespace for his access?
Users don't have permissions to *access* tablespaces. They have permissions on objects which are created in tablespaces (such as tables). But if you are talking about the right to *create* objects within a tablespace, then what you need to do is grant a quota on each tablespace to a user. And yes, you can create as many tablespaces as you like (well, up to 65,000 or so). The commands would be: Create tablespace blah datafile 'c:\somewhere\blah.dbf' size 10m; alter user fred quota 5m on users quota 5m on blah quota 5m on system; (and so on). You can also do this: alter user Jeremiah quota unlimited on system; Though it's usually considered bad form to grant an unlimited quota on a tablespace to someone (it means they can chew up all available space within the tablespace). In earlier versions of Oracle (and still in 9i for backwards compatibility reasons), you used to "grant connect, resource" to a new user -and "resource" there is a role which implies 'quota unlimited on every tablespace that exists'.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it's on a separate CD and has to be installed separately (I know it was for 8i on Windows). In the meantime, go to http://technet.oracle.com -you need to register as a member, but membership is free and instantly granted, and the entire set of documentation is available there. You can download the pages you find of particular use. Regards HJR