Re: V$LATCH question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 16:08:49 -0000

I don't think you are correcting me at all. I think you are just restating and expanding on the points I had made that the second option is (a) unlikely, and (b) a secondary symptom of something much more basic.

If you have ever been on a site where a dba took the advice

    "you can reduce latch sleeps
    by increasing the _spin_count"
a little too enthusiastically, you would realise that it is possible for a spin value of 50,000 does not result in a trivial amount of CPU loss.

On a more serious note - you mentioned that sleeps are for 10 milliseconds - but all the measurements I make on HP suggest that
the sleep time on the cache buffers chains latch is 20 milliseconds. Is this something that may vary with platform ?

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.