Re: Grant Rights

From: Chen Zhao <czhao_at_cs.helsinki.fi>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:12:46 +0200

"doug" <d.smith_at_ins.hcc.mnscu.edu> wrote in message news:dd3da57f.0111301104.1e42ce84_at_posting.google.com...
> I need some help here! I've been using MYSQL and Postgres for quite
> awhile and have not had this problem before. With Oracle9i I can not
> get my users to be able to see each others tables.
>
> As user_one:
>
> create table dog
> (id number(2));
> Grant all on dog to user_two;
>
> insert into dog(id) values('2');
>
> select * from dog;
>
> ----
> id
> ----
> 2
>
> exit
>
> sqlplus user_two/<password>
>
> sql>select * from tab;
> no rows selected.
>
> sql>select * from dog;
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
>
> I should also point out I created the users as system/<password>
>
> create user user_one identified by <password>
> grant connect, resource to user_one;
>
> created both isers the same way.

 In oracle, only the schema owner(the user who create the objects) can grant object related priviledgs(like select, insert, delete priviledge on the tables) to other users. In order for user_two to view user_one's tables, you should first connect as user_one in sqlplus and say 'grant all on xxx to user_two' and similiar, connect as user_two and say 'grant all on xxx to user_one', then user_one and user_two can see each other's tables.

-chen Received on Fri Nov 30 2001 - 13:12:46 CST