Re: help please with create database error

From: stevek <stefano1_at_att.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:23:22 GMT

Sorry, I finally did what I should have to begin with. Looked at ask Tom archives and found answer and it worked.

    You Asked

    Hi
    I am using Oracle 8.0.5.1.0 on Solaris 2.6. i was trying to     create a database( create databse command from svrmgrl) and it     fails with follwing error

    ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed
    ORA-01990: error opening password file     '/u01/app/oracle/product/8.0.5/dbs/orapw'

    i found that this problem occur only if i set     remote_login_passwordfile = shared /exclusive. Once i set this     parameter to none all work fine.

    could you please explain me why this happend and hwo to set the     parameter to shared / exclusive.

    The same i tried in NT and it wokrs fine with all the options

    and we said...

    Be aware: Though error messages appeared, the datafiles are     created as well!!! So it needed to remove the datafiles,     controlfiles and so on, before attempting a new 'create     database'.

     ORA-1990 always occurs when the SID specific 'password' file     does not exist and the init<sid>.ora parameter     "REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE" is set to "EXCLUSIVE"

    REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE specifies whether Oracle checks for a     password file and how many databases can use the password file.     Setting the parameter to NONE signifies that Oracle should     ignore any password file (and, therefore, privileged users must     be authenticated by the operating system). Setting the     parameter to EXCLUSIVE signifies that the password file can be     used by only one database and the password file can contain     names other than SYS and INTERNAL.