Re: Read GMT dates in Java

From: Gary Gapinski <glg_at_apk.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:06:15 -0500

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> There aren't any timestamps in Oracle 8i. There is a data/time type and it
> does not have a time zone component. One can use sysdate as a "timestamp"
> but it is just a date time.
> Jim

More specifically, I found that the value of an Oracle column of type DATE, containing a date-time value relative to UTC, returned as a java.sql.Timestamp, had an invalid (shifted) millisecond value unless I set the default TimeZone to UTC (e.g.,
TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone.getTimeZone("UTC"));) prior to JDBC queries. Received on Fri Nov 30 2001 - 06:06:15 CST