Re: Indexes, performance and storage

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:25:55 -0000

There is something a little unusual about your data - you have 2.3 million rows, but 2.5 GB of data, which indicates 1K per row, and the b-tree index you create takes
432MB which suggests the average length
of the identifier (when used) is about 155 bytes. Is your figure for the number of rows correct ?

It is possible for there to be a huge difference between b-tree size and bitmap size. In the unlikely case that your identifier was constant across the table, the bitmap would require 2,300,000/8 bytes, plus about 12% overhead for a total of about 320K - so your 8M, in an absolute worst case scenario, would be good for at least 25 distinct values for the identifier.

It sounds as if your sample column isn't a very good one to use a b-tree on, though, and if this is typical of the other columns you want to index you may NEED to get EE for the bitmaps.

You may get some benefit from compressing indexes, by the way - but I'm not sure that you can do that in SE either.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.