Re: help please with create database error

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 08:48:43 +1100

True, you can *create* it anywhere -but it can't be used unless it's in the default location. Except that I was wrong even there, because I'd forgotten about the ORA_PWFILE environment variable which overcomes just that particular hurdle -on the grounds that the machine we run our courses on uses the symbolic link method and not the environment variable one.

Silly me.

Thanks David
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

> > The file has to be in that location, I'm afraid -unless you start using
> > symbolic links to the actual location, leaving a link behind in the
default
> > one.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --
> > Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> >
> > This is not entirely correct as ORAPWD will accept a fully 'qualified' > file name, including path, so the password file can be located > wherever one might wish. With Oracle9i: > > c:\ora9i\ora9011\bin\orapwd > file=c:\ora9i\ora9011\database\pwddbtech.ora password=****** > > This also holds true for Oracle8i: > > c:\oracle\ora816\bin\orapwd > file=c:\oracle\ora816\database\pwdtechdb.ora password=++++++ >
> >
> > "stevek" <stefano1_at_att.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Trying to create a new database and continue to get the below error.
> > >
> > > ORA-01501: CREATE DATABASE failed
> > > ORA-01990: error opening password file
'/u01/oracle/OraHome1/dbs/orapw'