Re: V$LATCH question

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:37:57 GMT

Think of a sleep as a short wait. A miss is giving up and coming back to it later.

Think of it as going to the movies to get a ticket. If the line is not too long you are willing to wait a little while to buy a ticket. (a sleep) You might call your buddies on your cell phone or in general do something else, but you are still in line to get the ticket. A miss is when the line is long and you just leave and come back later. You could have waited for awhile and then decided to go grocery shopping and come back and buy the tickets later.

So a miss is very bad, it means the line to get a ticket was so long that you decided to do something else and get the ticket later. The process that needed the ticket is going to have to wait a "long" time to get the ticket. Also you waste gas driving around to pick up groceries and then reparking to get the movie ticket later.

Jim