Re: Fantasy Oracle Implementation

From: Lionel Mandrake <nobody_at_nospam.nowhere.nohow>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:29:33 GMT

"Chuck" <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9u5sp9$6h3mu$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de...

Hi Chuck,

We've not experienced any problems with the Sun hardware that I am aware of. We have a few e220's, e250's, e420's, and e450's - nothing really heavy. Each only has a single instance/db with the largest db being 35G. Maybe we don't tax the hardware as much as some others may... OTOH, we haven't had any problems with the IBM stuff either. We are running SP2 frames and have a couple of Sharks for storage, so we are pretty well "in bed" with IBM. I was just surprised at what I perceived to be a large cost difference. An RS/6000 workstation was recently purchased for me that cost approx. $15,000 whereas the comparable Sun workstation I priced out came in at $3,500. Another thing is that we have had trouble finding some applications that run on AIX but never had trouble finding what we needed on Sun. IBM has been on site for three weeks now trying to get WebSphere Portal to work correctly, but can't seem to. But, I'm just a DBA, so I don't look at things from the same perspective as, say, our datacenter manager does. Anyway, I was just surprised to see someone say that AIX had the best performance/cost "rating". Perhaps it is like Chevy vs. Ford in some respects.

Sorry to hear you had bad experiences with Sun though...

Thanks,

-LM Received on Thu Nov 29 2001 - 21:29:33 CST