Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

From: Geoff MacGowan <geoffm_at_achilles.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:08:33 -0500

I too had this problem and have resolved it with the help of a Sr.DBA on these news groups. I have forgtten his name, but not the solution. Win2k Server will start the services but does not startup, mount and open the database.

Make sure that the Listener and Oracle services are started then, From the Start Menu, go to The Oracle Database Administration menu. Launch DBAStudio. Connect to the database by logging in using system/manager but change normal to sysdba. Select the database and instance and then startup the database ( the dialogue in the right hand pane is quite intuitive). Close DBAStudio and you should be able to access the database through SqlPLus or svrmgrl.

Sorry if these instructions are a bit off, but the general ideas are there. I'm typing this from memory, as I don't have an Oracle database on Win2k available right now.

Good luck,

Geoff MacGowan