Re: Oracle Backup/Restore

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:43:37 +1100

No need to do a cold backup, and it would be a disaster just waiting to happen to take the thing in and out of archivelog mode. Just restore the appropriate file(s) from the hot backup, and ensure you have all archives since the time that backup started, and you'll be fine.

Check out my site, books, backup and recovery. Basic principles, but should stand you in good stead.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"TC3 Racer" <samsmith_at_parktechnology.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've a oracle server that's supposed to run 24/7 but I could probably take
> it down for 30mins, once a month. It's running in Archive log mode
>
> Weekly a full online backup is carried out, then incrementals of the
archive
> logs
>
> To recover this, can I just restore the last full online B/U + the
archives,
> or do I need to go back to the last Cold B/U and restore all the Archive
> logs
>
> + If I'm carrying out a cold B/U should I turn off archiving before this
B/U