Re: Referencing clob in update row trigger

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 29 Nov 2001 10:11:13 -0800

In article <96b56cee.0111290739.262af362_at_posting.google.com>, gerd.franz_at_ada.de says...

>Hallo,
>
>I try to manipulate the content of a clob during update trigger. How do I
>reference the clob content ?
>
>I've made the experience that the attempts
>
>- select clob into variable
>- dbms_lob.copy
>- dbms_lob.open
>
>will fail.
>

>Any ideas ?
>Gerd

see
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=clob+trigger++author:tkyte%40us.oracle.com&hl=en&rnum=1&selm=365c4b73.2410486%40192.86.155.100

and don't forget -- most updates to the clob won't fire a trigger! dbms_lob.write, any of the piecewise stuff. So, it will depend on how you access the clob as well whether you get what you think you will get.