Re: EXP/IMP charset conversion, Please help me ...

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:45:07 +1100

There's no real answer as to which is the 'right' setting.... it all depends. But I'll tell you that some of the 9i documentation suggests that your Character Set should be something like WE8ISO8859P1 with a UTF8 national character set -and that all your tables should only contain NCHAR or NVARCHAR2 columns.

The reasoning behind that is that the database character set is really intended to establish the language of the data dictionary and other internal tables. For your own data, if there's ever a chance that you might need foreign characters, you're better off from the word go using the national language options.

Of course, if you are never, ever going to use foreign characters, opting for UTF8 in all your tables is a bit of overkill. But it gives you flexibility.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com