Re: me again, have some more info about the error!

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 28 Nov 2001 15:01:50 -0800

It means that Oracle cannot find an entry in tnsnames.ora This could happen in two cases:
1. Oracle cannot find the file: on UNIX , it looks in $TNS_ADMIN (if this variable is set), also in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, and /etc. Make sure that the file exists and is readable. 2. There is no entry in the file: check that entry exists. If you are trying to connect from the same box where the database is located,
you should be able to connect without SQL*Net. Set $ORACLE_SID and do not specify datebase name after username/password, i.e

sqlplus username/password

instead of

sqlplus username/password_at_database

Regards,
Sev Received on Wed Nov 28 2001 - 17:01:50 CST