Fantasy Oracle Implementation

From: Karl Nordquist <oracle_test_at_brightwood.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:17:11 -0800

Hi all,

We are currently a shop running Netware 4.11 and Oracle v7.3.4.0.1 and are doomed on two points. Point 1 being that Oracle no longer supports v7.x and as of December 31, 2001, will no longer support Novell Netware as an OS. We cannot upgrade our current hardware to Netware 5.x, and Oracle v8.1.x is not certified for Netware.

So, since about February of this year we have been testing. First testing our current hardware with other supported OSes. First was NT, then Win2k, tried and failed with Linux and Solaris for Intel (same problem as Netware, no drivers for our EISA disk controllers).

Then we got a test box from Sun (a 420R w/Quad Sparc II 450 Mhz/4mb cache each cpu with 2gb memory, and a D1000 running Solaris for Sun) and ran the same test. It performed very well on all statements.

Then we got a test box from HP (intel based LT 6000R, Tri Xeon PIII 900Mhz/2mb cache each cpu with 2.25gb memory, and 2 disk arrays for 5 mount points running Win 2k) and it tested as well if not slightly better on most statements (except ones with heavy ordering and grouping).

Now I am on the fence, so the question I pose is this, keeping in mind that all above mentioned testing of OSes were of the OS straight out of the box with no tuning. If you had the ability to do it all over again from the beginning, deciding on the best hardware/os combination, where would you be today?

Please feel free to email me at oracle_test_at_brightwood.com or post to the group.

Thanks

Karl M. Nordquist
Application Development Supervisor
Bright Wood Corporation
Madras, Oregon Received on Wed Nov 28 2001 - 13:17:11 CST