Importing and exporting in a way neutral to Database type

From: David <david.wynter_at_btclick.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:01:00 -0000

Hello,

I have been experimenting with import and export from tables in Oracle 8.1.5. I need to export in a form that allows other brands of Db to import this data (it is metadata for a Tomcat 4.0 Servlet based application).

I used the following script to export.

<snip>

SET NEWPAGE 0
SET SPACE 0
SET LINESIZE 3000
SET PAGESIZE 0
SET ECHO OFF
SET FEEDBACK OFF
SET HEADING OFF
SET COLSEP | SPOOL ID_TABLE.DAT
SELECT * FROM ID_TABLE;
SPOOL OFF SPOOL RW_DATABASE.DAT
SELECT * FROM RW_DATABASE;
SPOOL OFF
<snip>

Now the problem lies with importing I have been able to work out how to use SQL*Loader to import these files (using a control file) and in the process trim all trailing blanks. I find the Oracle documentation fairly impenetratable on control files for SQL*Loader. The reason I use the pipe symbol ('|') to delineate records is that some of the description columns have commas.

Any suggestions on a control file or a better way to export losing the trailing blanks?

Thanks and Regards

David Wynter
Lone developer at roamware Ltd. Received on Wed Nov 28 2001 - 09:01:00 CST