Re: Oracle 9i and PublicRollback Segment

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:58:11 +1100

Always include the exact error message if you want detailed help, otherwise it's a question of the blind leading the blind.

I'd suspect, however, that you are encountering the new 9i feature whereby there are no such thing as rollback segments anymore. All you need do in 9i is create an 'undo tablespace', and tell Oracle to use it (with the init.ora parameter undo_management=auto). It then creates undo segments for you on the fly, much as it has long since created sort segments as needed in temporary tablespace.

The full thinking behind this is explained in the 9i new features document available at my website (look under the 'books' link).

If you really want to use traditional rollback segments, then set undo_management to MANUAL, and go for it. However, quite why you'd want to, I can't think. You'll lose the protection from ORA-1555's that 'undo retention' gives you, flashback won't work reliably, and time spent on managing rollback will rise exponentially.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com