Re: Wildly inconsistent performance

From: Sean Fitzgerald <sfitzgerald_at_centurytel.net>
Date: 27 Nov 2001 14:52:44 -0800

> Database : 8.1.6.3.0
> OS : Solaris 5.8
> Veritas Cluster Manager 1.3

I can give you this advice, upgrade to 8.1.7.2

moved a database from 8.1.6.2 (HP-UX 11.0) to 8.1.6.3 (Solaris 5.8) via export/import. Suddenly a simple dml statement (insert into table x select * from table a union select * from table b) went from 20 minutes run-time to 24+hours and still not complete (basically after completing the union it started doing physical direct reads from the temp tablespace 1 block at a time).

Logged a sev 1 tar with oracle and they looked at it for 1 whole day and couldn't answer what it was doing (although we could recreate the problem without fail). Since 8.1.6.3 is desupported, we upgraded to 8.1.7.2 and the problem vanished (run-time back to 20 minutes). Received on Tue Nov 27 2001 - 16:52:44 CST