Re: alter database or alter system?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:48:37 +1100

And 'alter DATABASE backup controlfile to trace' causes what precisely to be written to database files???!

In general, I'd buy the distinction you make. I tend to thing "alter system" refers to memory/transient issues and "alter database" refers to controlfile/permanent issues. But there's always the odd exception.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com