Re: shutdown and close

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:41:27 GMT

> - I did a shutdown and there are users connected,
> I can't do another shutdown immediate.
> What is the good solution to stop the database ?

  1. Open another sqlplus/svrmgrl - do a shutdown abort. After that do a startup, followed by a shutdown immediate ... this way you have performed an instance recovery + checkpointing ... so it'll be a clean shutdown to be used for, for example a cold backup...
  2. Inform the users and urge them to log out (yeah right)
  3. kill'm all (preferable using a nifty script .... nah)

If you don't like a shutdown immediate you can also use a 'shutdown transactional' - Users will only be disconnected when their transactions end (rollback/commit) after which the DB closes down...

> - Is it possible to close a database when it is open ?
> alter database close does no work ...
Don't know which version you're working on but on 8i - when the DB is open - you can do 'alter database close', 'alter database dismount', etc However if you first issued a 'shutdown' you can't just do an 'alter database close' because the database is performing a shutdown ...