Is Oracle's conversion to/from IEEE lossless?

From: Brian Smith <brian-l-smith_at_uiowa.edu>
Date: 27 Nov 2001 02:46:48 -0800

I understand that Oracle doesn't store numbers in IEEE 754-1985 format. But Can Oracle represent every IEEE 754-1985 double- and single- precision number? For example, if I have a Java "double", can I store it in Oracle and then retrieve it and get the same exact value? What limitations are there to do thing this?

I searched on groups.google.com for an answer to this but I couldn't find a definitive one.

Thanks,
Brian Received on Tue Nov 27 2001 - 04:46:48 CST